Nitro-Net.com – A Global Marketing Group Company
WhatsApp is celebrating its 10-year anniversary Sunday, and the Facebook-owned messaging application looked back at some of the key moments in its history.
WhatsApp shared the video and infographic below in a blog post. Highlights include:
- Feb. 24, 2009: WhatsApp is formed, and its app debuts for iOS and Android.
- December 2009: Photo and video sharing are added.
- June 2010: Video sharing is added.
- February 2011: Group chat comes to WhatsApp.
- October 2011: The app reaches the milestone of 1 billion messages sent on a single day.
- August 2013: WhatsApp introduces voice messages.
- April 2014: WhatsApp tops the 500 million user mark.
- October 2014: Facebook officially acquires WhatsApp in a $19 billion deal.
- November 2014: WhatsApp debuts read receipts.
- January 2015: WhatsApp for the web debuts.
- February 2016: The app tops 1 billion monthly users.
- April 2016: End-to-end encryption is introduced.
- May 2016: The WhatsApp desktop app debuts.
- November 2016: Video calling is added to WhatsApp.
- February 2017: Status, WhatsApp’s answer to Stories, is revealed.
- July 2017: WhatsApp reaches 1 billion daily users.
- January 2018: WhatsApp exceeds 1.5 billion monthly users and introduces WhatsApp Business.
- July 2018: Group calling comes to the app.
- October 2018: WhatsApp debuts stickers.